A Disabled Facility Grant is a grant that is available from Local Authorities to pay for housing adaptations, which help less abled or disabled people stay in their own homes.
If you require specific home adaptations, and you want to be considered for a grant, you should be aware of the following guidelines:
- To apply for a grant, you must request an application form from your local authority. Grants are normally dealt with by the environmental health or housing departments and can take up to 6 months to be approved.
- Do not start any work until the council has approved your grant application. If you do, it is highly likely that the council will decline your grant.
- Grants may be means tested. The means test takes into consideration the applicant’s net income and savings over a certain limit.
- Should you not be eligible for a grant, you will have to consider private sources of funding.
- For assistance with getting a needs assessment, an occupational therapist from your local social services department can help.
For more information contact your local authority or visit https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/disabled-facilities-grant